Powered by Blogger.

Freeform Apple Tart

Saturday 9 March 2013
I love a good bargain! I found myself in the supermarket rather early this morning heading for the cafe in need of a cuppa, but thought I'd check the reduced section on the way in case there was a bargain or two to be had.  

I'm very glad that I did!  I ended up buying a pack of ready rolled shortcrust pastry that had been reduced to half price (50p) and a reduced 1.5kg bag of apples (50p).  I immediately thought of making an apple pie or tart for pudding.  After spending the afternoon sorting out housework, kids homework, making sure all the washing was done and put away, mediating between grumpy hubby and tired children, and sorting out our Meal Plan, I really wanted an easy and tasty pudding.  I didn't have the energy or patience to faff about making a pie so I decided to make this make this:


Freeform Apple Tart

This is such a versatile and easy recipe.  You could use plums, pears, or stone fruit such as peaches, nectarines or apricots instead of apples.

5 large apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 Tblsp sugar, white or light soft brown
2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tblsp plain flour
375g pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry

Preheat your oven to 180C.  Line an oven tray with non-stick baking paper.  Lay out the pastry on a lined baking tray.  Toss the apple slices in the sugar cinnamon and flour.  The flour helps the juice from the apples form a thick syrup as they cook, helping to eliminate the possibility of a soggy tart.  Lay the apple slices on top of the pastry, leaving a 3cm border free.  Fold the pastry inwards, it will cover some of the apple mound but the top of the tart will be open.  Bake in the preheated oven for 35 - 40 minutes.  We served ours with whipped cream.



The cost of the tart was: reduced ready rolled shortcrust pastry 50p, 750g apples 25p, other ingredients 10p (approximately),

A delicious pudding that provided 8 generous servings for 90p, just over 10p a portion. I am therefore submitting this recipe to Credit Crunch Munch, the monthly blogging event created by Helen and Camilla.  Helen is hosting this month.


1 comment:

  1. Ooh Michelle what a good idea and another way of getting one of your 5-a-day into the children. I have some pastry in the fridge which I bought on offer so might well turn this into a fruit pie like yours. Thanks for sharing with #creditcrunchmunch:-)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top