Powered by Blogger.

Yet Another Rhubarb Cake

Sunday 2 June 2013

We have yet more rhubarb from our allotment and I was nagged mercilessly asked to bake a cake by my family with some of it.  I decided to experiment a little and make a rhubarb sponge with the rhubarb on top instead of in the middle or dotted though the cake.  Kind of a right way up upside down cake, yup I know, I confused my family too. LOL The cake was delicious and went down very well, in fact we may have taste tested it a couple of times just to make sure.



Yet Another Rhubarb Cake

150g butter, softened
175g caster sugar
3 free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract, I used vanilla bean paste
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 Tblsp/60ml milk

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1 heaped Tblsp plain flour
1tsp cinnamon
500g rhubarb, trimmed weight

Preheat your oven to 190C/170 Fan.

Cut the rhubarb into 1cm slices.  Combine the topping ingredients then toss the rhubarb in this mixture until coated.  Set aside whilst you make the cake batter.

In a bowl or stand mixer cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  If the mixture starts to curdle add a tablespoon of flour with each egg.  Fold through the flour and baking powder alternately with the milk until you have a smooth cake batter.

Grease and line a 23cm springform cake tin.  Pour in the cake batter then sprinkle the rhubarb over the top.  Press the rhubarb into the cake batter with a fork so that you can see cake batter coming up through the rhubarb.  Sprinkle any remaining topping mixture over the top.

Bake at 190C for 40-45 minutes, until the centre is golden and springs back when lightly pressed.  Cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes, then release the sides of the cake tin and leave to cool until just warm.  Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve warm as a pudding with cream or icecream, alternatively eat it at room temperature with a cuppa.  


I am entering this recipe into Alphabakes the monthly baking challenge created by The More than Occasional Baker and Caroline Makes.  The letter for June is R and Ros is hosting.



I'm also entering this recipe in to the Simple and In Season monthly community blog event hosted by Ren Behan.



3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and reminds me of a cake my mum used to make but with plums. I absolutely love rhubarb though so I'd love to try this if I get time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea putting the rhubarb on top. I've been offered some rhubarb from a friend's allotment so I'll be making some rhubarb cake soon. Thanks for entering #alphabakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing wrong with more rhubarb cake recipes... this one is nice and puddingy which I love!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top