Powered by Blogger.

Chorizo and Vegetable Stromboli - Love Your Leftovers

Tuesday 7 January 2014
I was having a natter with the other Mums on the school run this morning and mentioned I was thinking of making a bread Swiss Roll type thing using leftover roast vegetables and some chorizo.  One of the Mums said "Oh, you mean a Stromboli!" I had no idea what she was on about so after a quick Google on my phone I discovered that was indeed the correct name for the "Swiss Roll type savoury filled bread thing" I had planned.

I decided to use up some leftover cooked roast vegetables I found on the weekend lurking in the freezer by combining them with herbs, spices, grated cheese and spicy Chorizo which I seem to have developed a taste for recently. You can leave out the chorizo for a vegetarian version, just make sure you spice it up with some paprika and perhaps a pinch of chilli powder if you think it needs an extra spicy kick.  I'm looking forward to baking one with peppers and mushrooms instead of chorizo for a vegetarian version.

Chorizo and Vegetable Stromboli

Dough:
300g bread flour, I used 200g wholemeal bread flour and 100g white bread flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp 
1 tsp instant yeast
1 Tblsp oil
125ml warm water
125ml milk, I used semi skimmed

Filling:
1 Tblsp oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 chorizo sausage, diced (add 2 tsp paprika if not using chorizo)
250g diced cooked root vegetables, I used leftover roast pumpkin and sweet potato
100g mature cheddar, grated
4 Tblsp tomato paste mixed with 1 Tblsp water
1 or 2 tsp dried mixed herbs

To make the dough, put all the dry ingredients into a bowl.  Add the water, milk and oil.  Mix until a forms then knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.  Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to rise until doubled in size.  I made the dough in my stand mixer.

Whilst the dough is rising prepare the filling.  Heat the oil in a frying pan then add the onion and garlic.  If you are using mushrooms, peppers or other uncooked vegetables add them at this stage.  Add the chorizo, if using, and cook until the vegetables have softened.

Leave to cool before adding the leftover/cooked root vegetables and grated cheese.  Once the dough has risen preheat your oven to 210C/190C Fan and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.  Knock back the dough and roll out on a floured surface to 40cm x 30cm.  Spread the tomato paste over the dough, leaving a one inch strip clear on both long sides, then sprinkle with dried mixed herbs.  Scatter the vegetable and chorizo filling over the tomato paste and mixed herbs.

Roll up from the long side like a Swiss Roll, pressing gently to seal.  Carefully transfer to a baking tray, seal side down.  Cut a few slashes in the top a few inches apart.  Brush with milk or beaten egg to glaze.  Leave to rest for 10 - 15 minutes.  Bake in the preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes until golden and cooked through.



I am adding this recipe to the following blog events/challenges:



Extra Veg created by Helen and I, hosted by Helen this month, which encourages us all to add a portion of extra vegetables to our meals. 

HIDDEN GOODIES

Because I used wholemeal bread flour and 3 different vegetables I'm entering Family Foodies Challenge, the theme this month is Hidden Goodies.  The challenge was created by Louisa and is being hosted by Vanesther.


Feel Good Food, created by Victoria, the theme for January is Tasty and Inexpensive.  The Stromboli cost £3.47 using 200g of Chorizo and will feed 6  - 8 for lunch with a salad or 6 for dinner with steamed greens, a cost of 58p per serving not including accompaniments.  

spice trail badge square

The Spice Trail, hosted by Vanesther, the spice this month is Paprika.  Whether you use Chorizo in the stromboli or add paprika the spice adds a lovely warmth and flavour.


No Waste Food Challenge hosted by Elizabeth, I used up leftover cooked roast vegetables from the freezer in my Stromboli and it's a great way to use up vegetables that may be languishing in the fridge. 



Last but by no means least, I'm adding this to my own Less Than One Pound Challengemake a meal from scratch which will feed at least 2 adults, where each portion costs less than £1.  At 58p per portion my Stromboli is well within the £1 per portion challenge amount. 

7 comments:

  1. You know, I'd heard of stromboli but never realised it was one of these! And now I know, I really want to make one - it looks and sounds delicious. A marvellous entry for both The Spice Trail and Family Foodies. Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused Vanesther, although I hadn't had coffee before the school run. I'll definitely be making more, perhaps with pesto instead of tomato paste. Thanks so much for hosting fab challenges that inspire us bloggers each month :)

      Delete
  2. This looks yummy and a new dish for me. This is perfect for us as we often have leftovers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of this, it will be dinner tomorrow, I have some soft peppers to use up, instead of tomato paste I will use up a tub of soft cheese with herbs, win win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea it was called a Stromboli either. There is always something to learn about food. I adore using stuff up - the more empty packets and pots the better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last week for my boyfriend's lunches, though I somehow forgot to try it myself but he really enjoyed it! We used leftover cauliflower, sweet potato and carrots in ours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks and sounds amazing! What colours and flavours! I'm salivating thinking of it! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top