Welcome to my blog!

Savvy shopping, seasonal eating and thrifty recipes. Spend less on groceries and enjoy better tasting, easy to prepare meals your friends and family will love – all on a budget.

Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Spicy Seven Vegetable Stew

This stew is quick to make, packed with flavour and full of vegetables - prefect for a cold winter night and a comforting lunch the next day.  Use whatever vegetables you have on hand, courgettes, carrots, onions and kale would also work well in this stew, perfect for clearing out your vegetable draw before shopping day.  You can leave out the chorizo and pepperoni for a vegetarian version, just add a tablespoon of paprika for an extra flavour kick.

This recipe is part of Leftover Lunches, a campaign by Voucher Codes to encourage us all to be creative with what we eat at lunchtime, making and eating tasty lunches that cost much less than store bought ones.  The challenge was to come up with a meal for under £10 which could also be used as leftovers for lunch the next day or two.

I’m lucky that I can normally eat lunch at home as I work during the night, this still means I need a decent ‘midnight lunch’ to take to work with me as the canteen food is rather grim.  If I am out at lunchtime I am amazed at how expensive it is to purchase a decent sandwich or salad.  I’m really picky about the pre-made sandwiches/salads that I buy because I know I can make something more nutritious and tasty at home that would cost much less.

Spicy Seven Vegetable Stew

200g chorizo, diced (optional, add 1 Tblsp paprika if not using)
100g sliced pepperoni (optional)
2 sticks celery
1 leek
1 pepper, I used a yellow one
200g butternut squash, peeled and diced
200g sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 carton chopped tomatoes with added garlic
1 carton chopped tomatoes with added pepper and chilli
500ml vegetable stock
2 tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
300g cavolo nero or 4 cubes frozen spinach

Put a large  pan over a moderate heat and add the chorizo and pepperoni, cook until the oil starts to run from the chorizo.  Add the celery, leek and pepper.  Stir to coat in the oil and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables start to soften.  Add all the other ingredients apart from the cavolo nero or  spinach.   Cover and simmer for around 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.  Add the cavolo nero or spinach and cook until heated through and wilted.  Serve with a granary bread roll.



Leftovers for Lunch

For lunches I turned the stew into pasties using store bought shortcrust pastry.  Cut a rectangle or circle of pastry the size you would like your pasty to be, put filling in the middle, fold over the pastry and crimp the edges to seal.  Cook in an oven preheated to 200C/180C Fan for 25 minutes.  I made four large pasties from the leftover stew.



Costings from Asda
1x Chopped Tomatoes with Garlic in Tomato Juice (390g) 50p
1x Chopped Tomatoes with Chilli and Peppers (390g) 50p
2x Tins Chick Peas in Water (400g) £1.20
Leek (Approx 250g) 50p
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potatoes (400g) £1.50
2 sticks Celery 20p
Danish Pepperoni (120g) £1.00
Chorizo Cooking Sausage (200g) £2.00

300g Cavolo Nero 75p
Shortcrust pastry £1.00

Total £9.15 for a dinner to feed 5 generously and four packed lunches.

This is a Sponsored Post.  Voucher Codes commissioned me to create a recipe for their #LeftoverLunches campaign. I was compensated for my time and ingredients.

5 comments:

  1. Oh what a tasty and healthy stew. I cook lots of dishes in winter like this but have never thought to put the leftovers into a pasty. I love this idea and will use it and tell my cookery pupils about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use pasties to recycle leftovers quite a lot, making my own wholemeal pastry instead of using store bought shortcrust. Makes it a little healthier ;)

      Delete
  2. My my that looks and sounds very tasty indeed Michelle, I love stuff like this. More substantial than a soup but still packed with goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks amazing Michelle, and with that beautiful cavolo nero tucked in to it! Yum! I love dark leafy greens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of recipe, will definitely be trying this soon, thanks!

    ReplyDelete