Powered by Blogger.

Lavender and Strawberry Victoria Sponge

Wednesday 4 June 2014

The weather here in the UK has been rainy and gloomy this week.  I thought we needed a cake to cheer us up and remind us that Summer is on the way, although it may not seem like it.

I had some homemade lavender sugar which I thought I would use to make a Victoria Sponge and fill the cake with freshly whipped cream, homemade strawberry jam and fresh strawberries.  It went down very well as an after school afternoon tea treat on a rainy Wednesday afternoon.



Lavender and Strawberry Victoria Sponge

200g softened butter
220g caster sugar, or use half lavender sugar and half caster sugar
3 medium free range eggs
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 Tblsp/60ml milk, I used semi skimmed

Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan.  Grease and line two 20cm/8inch cake tins.

Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, I used my stand mixer.  Gradually add each egg one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Sift the flour and baking powder together.  Fold into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.

Divide the mixture evenly between the two prepared cake tins and smooth the surface.  Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in to the centre of the cakes comes out clean.  Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.  Once the cakes have cooled completely fill them with whipped cream, jam and fruit then sprinkle the top with icing sugar and decorate as you wish.



One of my favourite blogging challenges is Simple and in Season hosted by Ren Behan and I am linking up this delicious cake.



I am entering this cake into Love Cake hosted by JibberJabberUK, the theme this month is Vintage.



I'm also linking up with the Family Foodies Challenge created by Eat Your Veg and Bangers and Mash, the theme this month is Al Fresco.  This cake would be perfect for an afternoon tea in the garden on a sunny day.


Four Seasons Food has a theme of Red this month and lovely strawberries are red so I have joined in with that blog challenge as well.  Four Seasons Food was created by Eat Your Veg and Delicieux. but is being hosted this month by The Spicy Pear.



14 comments:

  1. Save us a slice I will pop over * get the kettle boiling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please email me a slice of this wonderful and delicious cake. Otherwise I ... have to do my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks stunning! That cake looks so light and airy. Feel welcome to join in and enter into #Bakeoftheweek to share this x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty Victoria sponge Michelle:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how absolutely old fashioned and moreish this cake looks. A big fat slice for me please x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so pretty with the lavender and strawberries on top. I usually think Victoria sandwiches are a bit boring but I really would like some of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely looking cake! Love the photos Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful flavours and devilish good looks - this cake has it all really doesn't it!!!! Totally cheered my day up Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing Michelle, wonderful summery flavours too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way you have given it a twist with strawberries and lavender. Thanks for linking up with this month's Love Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty cake. Love the use of the lavender sugar! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Michelle! Surely a site to cheer up the gloomiest of wet summers' days! Thanks so much for entering it to June's Family Foodies 'Al Fresco' event, and my apologies in only getting around to commenting now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this cake! Thanks for linking it up to S&S. Round up now live!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top