Powered by Blogger.

Warm Mixed Vegetable, Chickpea and Halloumi Salad

Friday 11 July 2014
I decided to make myself a warm salad for lunch today, packed with vegetables and with some lovely cheese. Having gestational diabetes has forced me to think more about what I eat and when I eat. No more just grabbing something quick or skipping meals because I'm too busy or too lazy. Having to look after myself more is a positive thing, both for me and bubs, and I am getting used to having more structured meal times during the day.

The salad was delicious! Use whatever you have on hand, it is versatile and quick to make. You could use lentils instead of chickpeas, add some grated carrot or tinned sweetcorn, add some chilli flakes for an extra kick or use shaved Parmesan instead of halloumi.



Warm Mixed Vegetable, Chickpea and Halloumi Salad

1 or 2 large handfuls of spinach
75g cooked chickpeas
1 courgette, finely sliced
1 pepper, finely diced
1 Tblsp oil
juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon
50g halloumi
sliced tomatoes
fresh mint and parsley to garnish

Put a frying pan over a moderate heat.  Wilt the spinach in the frying pan then set aside on a serving plate.  Add the chickpeas, courgettes and pepper to the pan with the lemon juice and oil.  Cook until the courgette and pepper soften slightly.  Remove from the pan and pour over the spinach on the serving plate.  Fry the halloumi on both sides until golden then sprinkle over the salad with sliced tomatoes.  Sprinkle over 1 Tblsp each of chopped fresh parsley and mint.  Serve immediately.


I am adding this salad to Speedy Suppers, created and hosted alternately by Sarah and Katie.  Katie is hosting this month.  The theme is Salads.

Speedy Suppers

I am also submitting this salad to Extra Veg, created by myself and Helen, it is a blog challenge to encourage us all to add extra vegetables to our meals.  Juggle Mum is hosting this month.


I'm also linking this recipe to Four Seasons Food, hosted alternately by Delicieux and Eat Your Veg.  Louisa is hosting this month. 


And finally, I've entered No Croutons Required, the blogging challenge created by Jac from Tinned Tomatoes and hosted by Lisa this month.

10 comments:

  1. I am enjoying lots of Halloumi out here in Cyprus, although the Turkish version is called Helim, but its just as yummy! Love this salad and thanks for entering x

    ReplyDelete
  2. halloumi is just the best thing ever isn't it? We always buy 2 packs of the stuff when we're barbecueing and just slice it up and throw it on as a little appetiser and gift for the chef... your salad looks wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  3. very yummy looking indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely looking salad Michelle! We don't eat halloumi very often but I was surprised at how much my husband liked it, I need to make more of an effort to get it into the meal plan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could eat halloumi all day :-) Thanks for giving me another way to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love chickpeas, LOVE halloumi! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious for a nice summery lunch! #ExtraVeg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious. I love everything present in this salad. Thanks for sharing with NCR. The roundup will appear in the next day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a stonking salad, I can't resist haloumi.

    Thanks for submitting to Speedy Suppers, the round up is up now at 8 summer salad recipes and I am hosting in August with the theme "picnics".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy :) perfect summer recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top