Powered by Blogger.

Extra Veg December and January - Slow Cooker French Onion Soup

Monday 8 December 2014
The weather here in the UK has finally turned cold and there's nothing like a hot howl of soup to warm up a grim, cold and rainy day.  We've been having a small bowl of soup before dinner in the evenings which helps us get an extra portion of vegetables and also helps to temper our hunger as cold weather always seems to make us more hungry.

I love my slow cooker, it makes life so much easier - especially with a very young baby and three other children to look after.  Being able to load ingredients in and letting the slow cooker magically turn them into a delicious meal is a very welcome shortcut at the moment.

Slow Cooker French Onion Soup


500g white onions
25g butter
2 tsp light soft brown sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 Tblsp flour
1 litre vegetable stock or beef stock, I use vegetable stock as my family prefer it

Peel and thinly slice your onions then add to the slow cooker with the butter and sugar.  Cook on low for 5 hours.  Add the garlic, flour and a little salt and pepper then mix well.

Pour in the stock and cook for another 4 hours.  Serve in bowls topped with cheese rolls or melted cheese on thick toast.




Extra Veg Blogging Challenge


This blogging challenge created by Helen and I encourages us all to add an extra portion of vegetables to meals.  Adding extra vegetables means that you get all the extra vitamins and nutrients from your veggies and it also fills you up so you eat less of the bad stuff.



To take part, simply blog about any recipe or idea where you eat an extra portion of vegetables.


There are a few rules:

Please link to the current host (ME!) and to Helen
Use the logo above
Tweet using #ExtraVeg
Closing date – 28th of January 2015
By entering you are agreeing to let us use an image from your entry on this site, and to pin to Pinterest.
Please be respectful of other people’s copyright

You could win a box of Extra Veg from Wholegood! 

Wholegood, an organic fruit and vegetable supplier in London, have offered the prize of one Uber Veg box for a randomly selected #ExtraVeg entry each month which will be selected via random.org.  Wholegood vegetable boxes can only be delivered to mainland UK addresses.  Contents of the veg box will change depending on season and availability.



Tell me about your ideas for extra veg on the linky below!


12 comments:

  1. Oooh what a super sounding soup! I love onions, a lot, and I'm very surprised I've never made an onion soup before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never attempted onion soup before but you make it sound so easy with the slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely lovely, I've made caramelised onions in the slow cooker before but don't think I've ever gone one step further to make French onion soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son would love this soup - he nagged me ages ago to make it but I made a different type of onion soup for him. Must bookmark this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just brought a slow cooker back from my parents and this looks like it will be the first recipe I try in it!

    http://www.audacityoffood.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to make this soup, i'll have to book mark this recipe as well :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never think of making soup in the slow cooker - great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm souper delicious! sorry for terrible pun, but I also love my slow cooker and I love soup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delish! I am totally addicted to soups at the mo too, and you're right, it's such a great way to bump up the veg portions.
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must use my slow cooker to make soup too. This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Michelle.Thanks for linking up to Slow Cooker Sunday.Soups are my daily lunch time meal at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top