Powered by Blogger.

Lightly Spiced Slow Cooker Beef Casserole

Wednesday 14 September 2011
This is a fab, low faff warming stew that is cooked in a slow cooker. It makes enough to serve us 5 generously for 2 nights.  I'm at an event in London tomorrow night (SQUEEEEEEEE!) so my hubby will need something he can reheat and that is guaranteed to be eaten without fuss.  This casserole is perfect for that.  It tastes even better the second night.  Sometimes I freeze the other portion but more often than not I just serve it the next night with different vegetables on the side.

1kg beef braising/stewing steak cut into chunks

1 Tblsp flour

1 tsp ground ginger

1 onion, sliced

1 stick of celery, finely sliced

1 or 2 400g cans of chopped tomatoes

400g can kidney beans, drained and well rinsed

2 peppers, roughly diced (any colour will do)

3 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks

2 bay leaves

2 Tblsp brown sugar

2 Tblsp red wine vinegar

2 tsp crushed garlic

2 Tblsp Worcestershire sauce

Trim excess fat from steak and chop in chunks. Toss meat in flour, salt and pepper, and ginger.

Fry in a non-stick pan until meat is evenly browned. Use a little oil if necessary.

Place everything in your slow cooker. Stir well to combine and cook for 7-8 hours on a low setting, or 4 hours on high. Taste at the end of the cooking time and season if necessary.   I'll be serving ours with with sweet potato mash and steamed greens tonight, and with potato mash, asparagus and runner beans tomorrow night.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Am always on the lookout for good slow-cooker recipes. This is my favourite so far: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18745/tomato+chicken+korma+curry

    (Although sometimes it can be a bit watery. Don't know why.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing better than a good beef stew in the crockpot to greet you after a long, cold day, is there?!
    I use the beef stew with carrots from Apples for Jam in my slow cooker and we can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds great, I love my slow cooker in the winter and now the kids are back to school I've recently sorted out all my cookery books and have started to get back into my cooking a bit more!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top