Powered by Blogger.

Gluten Free Gingerbread Men

Wednesday 29 June 2011
This is a brilliant recipe from fab blogger Dawn who blogs and tweets as The Moiderer.  Her lovely daughter follows a gluten free diet and she has kindly let me share this recipe on my blog.

Dawn says:

I have experimented with this a lot because I found early versions too crumbly or overly gingery.  What I have found is that it' good to increase the wet component and add Xanthan Gum to counteract crumbliness. I also usually make half this amount because the recipe makes about 20 small gingerbread men!

Here's the recipe:

350g/12oz Gluten Free plain flour

175g/6oz soft brown sugar

125g butter

1 egg

4 tbsps golden syrup

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

1 tsp ground ginger powder

1 tsp Xanthan Gum

Add the flour, softened but not melted butter, ginger, and bicarbonate of soda in bowl and mix together well to form a crumble type of mix.  Add egg, sugar, syrup and knead into a firm pastry.

Roll out and cook for about 10 mins max in 180 degree oven.

Leave too cool on the baking trays for 5 minutes or so before turning out carefully onto a rack to continue cooling.   They can break apart easily so be gentle.


Thanks heaps to Dawn for the great recipe.  I'm sure I'll use it for birthday party treats, after school snacks, or even cake stall goodies.  Don't forget to check out her blog The Moiderer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top