Powered by Blogger.

Leftover Turkey or Chicken Curry

Monday 26 December 2011
We don't eat turkey in our house, we don't like it LOL However, we do like a roast chicken.  This recipe works with leftovers from either a roast chicken or turkey (friends have used turkey and assure me it's delicious).  I also make it with fresh chicken breasts as a low faff weeknight dinner.  Give it a whirl with your leftover turkey or chicken and vegetables from yesterday's Christmas Dinner.

1 clove of garlic, crushed

2 onions, diced

leftover roast vegetables, or vegetables that need using up cut into chunks

1 Tbsp curry powder or curry paste (use more or less to suit your taste)

1 large eating apple, peeled and diced

1 Tbsp sweet mango chutney, or more according to taste

1 or 2 400g tins of chopped tomatoes

500g leftover chicken or turkey, cut into cubes or 500g chicken breasts, cut into cubes

Fry the garlic, onions and leftover vegetables over a medium heat in a large pan until the onions soften.

Then add the leftover chicken/turkey and curry powder/paste then cook for another couple of minutes.

Add the diced apple, mango chutney and one tin of chopped tomatoes.

Simmer for 1-2 hours. Keep an eye on the curry to make sure it's not drying out too much and add the second tin of tomatoes if it is.

Alternatively put everything in the slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or 6 hours on medium.

Here's how I usually make this curry in the slow cooker with fresh chicken:

I don't always have time to sweat down/brown everything, and this was one of those times, so I just bunged ecerything in my slow cooker. 


I realised that I had forgotten to add the onion so added that once I'd stirred everything together.


I put the slow cooker on medium for 6 hours and kept an eye on it every so often to make sure it wasn't drying out. 


After 3 hours I added another tin of chopped tomatoes.  With an hour to go I added a tin of chickpeas, some sweetcorn and some broadbeans.

I did stir in a couple more tablespoons of Mango Chutney just before I served it.  Here's the finished curry, served with brown rice:


This curry is tasty and not too spicy, great for all the family.  I would add some chilli to the adult portions though if you prefer some extra kick and heat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top