Powered by Blogger.

GBBO Inspired Peach Upside Down Cake

Wednesday 29 August 2012
I really enjoy watching The Great British Bake Off on the telly and each series I try out some of the recipes in my own home, using my version of the recipes.  I had never made an upside down cake but decided to give it a go after seeing them feature in episode one of the show.  I had some peaches that needed using up so I used a sponge, with added ground almonds to make it a little more robust, and peaches snuggled in caramel for the topping.

Peach Upside Down Cake

385g caster sugar
4 peaches, stones removed and cut into 8ths
250g softened butter or stork
2 tsp vanilla extract
225g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
60g ground almonds
6 free range eggs

Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C Fan.  Grease and line base of a 23cm springform cake tin with baking paper or use a paper liner.  Put 175g of sugar and 125ml of water in a small saucepan.  Stir over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.  Do not stir it after this point.  Bring the mixture to the boil and then simmer until a medium brown caramel forms.  Immediately pour the caramel into base of your lined cake tin then top with the peach wedges (skin-side down).
 
 

Put the butter or stork, vanilla and remaining 210g sugar a bowl and beat until until light and fluffy with an electric beater or use a stand mixer. Sift the flour, baking powder and ground almonds over the fluffy butter mixture. Add all the eggs then beat on low speed until mixture is smooth and just combined.



Spoon the sponge mix over peaches and level the top. 



Bake for 30 minutes. Cover the top with baking paper to stop it from browning too quickly, then bake for a further 30 - 40 minutes.  Check if your cake is done by inserting a skewer into the centre, if it comes out clean with no crumbs sticking to it then your cake is done. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.  Release the spring to remove the sides of the cake tin then put a plate over top of the cake.  Invert the cake on to the plate.  Remove the base co the cake tin and lining paper from the cake.



I have submitted this recipe to the One Ingredient Cooking Challenge hosted by Nazima at Working London Mummy and Laura at How to cook good food.

The One Ingredient this month is peaches!




I have also entered the recipe in Lottie's Bake Off Challenge:


The idea of the challenge is to bake something inspired by what you have seen the bakers making on the Bake Off.

And I have also submitted the recipe to the Simple and in Season Linky over at Ren's blog Fabulicious Food.



5 comments:

  1. Just come across your blog, thank you its great and very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh simply delicious. I love upside down cakes and juicy soft peaches must make for a wonderful topping when it comes out

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious! I am loving peaches at the moment! Thank you for entering the Bake Off Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that looks delicious! I am a terible baker but whenever I watch GBBO I feel inspired to make something... not sure it would turn out this good but I do have some nectarines that need using up. I take it they would be ok to use so I think I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanne, it was much easier than I thought and nectarines, plums or apples would work in the recipe too. Give it a whirl, I'm sure your cake will be fab :)

      Delete

Back to Top