Powered by Blogger.

Wholemeal Cheddar and Bacon Baps

Wednesday 15 January 2014
I baked these one afternoon when I needed to get rid of the frustration of our washing machine breaking down.  Kneading bread dough really helps when I am grumpy!  These would be a fab accompaniment to soup, or filled with salad for lunch.  Leave out the bacon if you want, I just had some that needed using up.



Wholemeal Cheddar and Bacon Baps

300g wholemeal bread flour
50g butter
150g white bread flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
2 free range eggs, beaten
175ml lukewarm milk
200g grated cheese
100g fiely diced cooked bacon.

Put the flour into a large bowl and rub in the butter.  Stir through the sugar, salt and yeast.  Make a well in the centre and add the eggs and milk.  Mix until a soft dough forms.

Knead the dough using a stand mixer or by hand until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.  Put the dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with clingfilm or a shower cap and leave to prove until doubled in size.

Line a couple of oven trays with non stick baking paper.  Knock the dough back and divide into 10 equal pieces.  Knead a little cheese and bacon into each portion of dough.  Form into a round then squish with the heel of your hand so each bap is about 4 inches, 10cm across.  Press the bap into some grated cheese, this ensures a decent coating of grated cheese on the top of the bap, then put on prepared oven tray.  Leave space between the baps on the oven tray to allow room for them to double in size.  Leave to prove until doubled in size.

Preheat your oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas Mark 6.  Bake the baps for 15 minutes until golden.  Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack.  Cover with a clean teatowel until cool which will ensure a soft crust. 


3 comments:

  1. I am a demon around cheesey bread, I don't dare buy it as I end up scoffing it too quick. Not tried making my own but need to get more diverse in my bread baking activity this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I'm planning on baking my own bread for the first time soon, will be trying a basic recipe first but I've bookmarked this for when I'm more confident :)

    http://ninegrandstudent.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely. If I made those they would last 3mins after coming out of the oven and having been slathered with butter!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top