Powered by Blogger.

Eggless Chocolate Slice

Thursday 15 May 2014
This is a family favourite and it keeps well in an airtight tin, not that it usually lasts too long in our household.  My Nan used to bake this when she knew visitors were on their way and it has long been a staple recipe for for those of us in our clan who bake.

My children nagged relentlessly asked if I would bake a batch so they could have a small slice each after school this week.  I agreed as my two youngest have exams this week and a little treat after school, along with some fruit and yoghurt, should hopefully keep them going whilst playing outside for a couple of hours before dinner.



Eggless Chocolate Slice

250g butter
200g sugar
30g cocoa powder
1 Tblsp golden syrup
300g self raising flour
65g desiccated coconut

Chocolate Icing
300g icing sugar
2 Tblsp cocoa powder
1 or 2 Tblsp water, approximately
  
Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm Swiss Roll Tin.  Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan.

Place a large saucepan over a low heat.  Melt together the butter, sugar, cocoa and golden syrup.  Don't let the mixture boil.  Leave the mixture to cool to room temperature before adding the flour and coconut.  Mix until completely combined.

Press the mixture into your prepared cake tin.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Take the slice out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes.  Pour over chocolate icing and leave to cool completely.  Once cool, cut into slices and store in an airtight container.






8 comments:

  1. Oh I've not had this in years.......I think I'll make it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an excellent after school treat and I can fully see why it was begged/nagged for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sounds wonderful. Good luck for the exams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quick recipe, I love how you always nicely ice your cakes :-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Michelle, my boys would adore this recipe. I'm bookmarking this for half term baking...

    ReplyDelete
  6. how much baking powder as it doesn't state in ingrediants list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used self raising flour so no baking powder needed, have edited the recipe to ensure it is now correct :)

      Delete
  7. have just made it in the microwave .. so I hope it turns out the same :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top