Powered by Blogger.

Vegan Banana Loaf - Cake for breakfast

Saturday 7 March 2015
What happens when we run out of eggs, milk, cereal/oats, and I've not baked bread? We have cake for breakfast! Yup, that's right, cake for breakfast. Don't say I don't spoil my loved ones.  

This morning I discovered that we were out of everything I would usually use to make breakfast on the weekend.  I decided to use the over-ripe bananas we had in the fruit bowl and make a banana loaf, vegan style.  I amended my usual recipe for Banana Loaf and left out the eggs, added an extra banana to compensate, and substituted oil for butter.  I ended up making two loaves and adding chocolate chips to one so we could have it for afternoon tea either later today or tomorrow.  The cake was served with chopped apples, satsuma and kiwifruit for breakfast.



Vegan Banana Loaf

3 large or 4 small over-ripe bananas
1/3 cup/80ml oil
1/3 cup/75g light soft brown sugar
1 large dollop vanilla bean paste or 2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups/225g self raising flour, plain or wholemeal or a mixture of both
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
80g chocolate chunks (optional)

Grease and line a 1lb/900g loaf tin.  Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F.

Mash the bananas then add the oil. sugar and vanilla.  Beat until well combined.  Add the rest of the ingredients then stir gently until thoroughly incorporated.  How easy is that?! A quick measure and mix then it's ready for the oven.  Pour the mixture into your prepared loaf tin and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes until cooked.  To check if the loaf is cooked, insert a skewer into the centre of the loaf, if it comes out clean then the loaf is cooked.




1 comment:

  1. That sounds lovely - I love the idea of having cake for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top